Rescued Not Arrested (RNA) reaches out to juvenile boys and girls from ages 13 to 17 who are incarcerated at AZ Dept. of Juvenile Correction (AZDJC), which is located between Happy Valley Rd. and Pinnacle Peak Rd. just west of I-17. There are about 350 to 500 youth housed in this facility on any given day. Approximately 40% of youth have no family support or visitation.
All volunteers must be active members at their home church for at least one year. One must be sponsored by their pastor for accountability reasons in writing on their church letterhead. Badge qualification is subject to governing agency guidelines and limitations.
We have several opportunities to serve at this location.
- Friday night services with girls or Sunday morning services with boys.
- One-on-one mentoring. (Same gender mentoring or husband/wife team can mentor either a boy or a girl)
- Tutoring. (Same gender)
- Chess Tournament helper/instructor for boys.
- Speech Therapist.
- Volunteering at special events and Christmas events including donating turkeys for Thanksgiving.
- Adopt-A-Cottage program – a group will visit one of the assigned units once a month to spend time with the youth by having a birthday party, playing games, or BBQing, etc.
They desperately need Jesus in their lives for direction, encouragement and discipline but most of all, they need to be loved and supported with Christ’s love. If you have a heart for youth, are committed to walk alongside them and share the gospel, this ministry may be just for you. Will you be like Jesus to one of them to love and guide him/her?